Formatting Programs

Last updated on 4 years ago
LawMatheson
LawMatheson Posted 4 years ago
I don't know if this sounds naive or not, but I was wondering what some good Script writing/manuscript programs were out there. I need to format my writing so that it is in appropriate book form. I know I am going to need to know how to do this myself, I just don't have time to teach myself everything that I have to learn right now, in the short few months I have. Any advice would be great!

-Law
"We learn from failure, not success." Bram Stoker
Routh
Routh Posted 4 years ago
Nothing written today is smart enough to format paragraphs properly for you. Formatting a story or novel depends on the presentation you need and the content you are presenting to the reader. All you can do is study, practice, and learn.

I'll give you these links as a starting point.

1. How to write a paragraph - This presents a guide to paragraphs for different uses. It presents examples. Learn it, know it, love it; and you'll have a great start as a writer.
http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Paragraph

2. How to format a manuscript for submission - This presents nitty gritty details on official page formatting for manuscripts.
http://theeditorsblog.net/2011/01/05/...ubmission/
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
LawMatheson
Awesome! Thanks for that advice! This is the first time that I am really, (really) working on writing. I know that I learned how to 'write' in public school, but that is much different than what I actually need to know. Now I am just trying to figure that out. If I try to market to publishing houses though, are they going to look for one set style of formatting, or does that also just depend on the book?
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 4 years ago
They usually just want a readable copy. Proper spelling and grammar, of course. Understand, you chances of being picked up by a publisher is about the same as winning a lottery. Just the way it is.
If you decide to self-publish, that's a different story. Not a difficult thing, just a bit more work. It pays a lot better for success.
LawMatheson
I am trying to get my book publisher ready, but I am looking into crowd-source funding, such as Kick starter, Indigogo, or another platform. I have always seen myself as the person that would self-publish or distribute it on my own, just from who I am. Any advice on that? I ultimately want to have my book professional and 'legitimate' even if it isn't the orthodox way.
Don Roble
For self-publishing an e-book you should go with Amazon. They have two-thirds of the market.
Go to Createspace for the paperback copy.
Go to Digital to Digital (D2D) and they can get you listed at every book seller there is. This for your paperback and your e-book(if you don't sign up for kindle unlimited).
If you decide to go with this I can tell you quite a bit about formatting your book. These are the places i use and I am quite happy with my results.
LawMatheson
Thank you Mr. Roble (or is it polite to be less formal?) I appreciate the help! I am going to edit a few more chapters and get it to a place that I like the start of my story more, before I start looking more into this. I'll let you know if I have any additional questions! Thanks
LawMatheson
Have any of you guys ever heard of or tried using drivethrufiction.com?
Don Roble
No. Use for what? It's a book club as far as I can tell. You can't publish there and I wouldn't. Publish e-book format at KDP and paperback at Createspace.
Routh
Routh Posted 4 years ago
I would also recommend Smashwords as they allow you to sell through them as well as Amazon and Kobo (Kobo is huge in Canada.. no one has a Kindle.) You can upload once and publish to multiple places.
Chris Routh

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
LawMatheson
(DOSCO Spoiler Warning) I have been doing my research, it doesn't seem like there is much venue for GOOD gay literature (other than whiny 'coming out' stories from New York Times Best Sellers, where that is the ONLY focus of the novel), so I have been talking to some friends (other gay writers) from Brazil and Spain, both friends of mine. Together, we are thinking of banding together, gathering our friends/family/followers into one web site, offering things the other gay publishing house websites don't offer (I drew up a 30 page business proposal yesterday, so I have the research), market in three languages, sell in three countries (and help one another out shipping the others books when it is cheaper for them), and use the website as a platform to blast our books. We could then branch out to other gay writers from around the world, and publish for them if they are in a 'closed' country and they can't.

Does anyone have any advice on this? This is a large dream of mine, one I am just discovering, but one that is coming together. Advice and criticism is always helpful (just know that 'impossible' is my fuel).

I'm a dreamer; Even if I die with unfulfilled dreams, I will know I have done everything I could to chase after them; Rather than live 'comfortably' suppressing those aspirations.
Routh
Routh Posted 4 years ago
This latest question should be posted into a new topic. Please use one thread per topic. Multiple topics in one thread is too difficult for people to follow and destroys a thread.
Chris Routh

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.