Participation

Last updated on 7 years ago
flickeringfairy
flickeringfairy Posted 8 years ago
For a while it seemed like there were a lot of people that participated fully in this site. As of late that seems to have changed. Anyone know why?

Kt seems to be, almost, the only one rating new stuff and I rarely see newer people rating. Lots of people post, but even that has slowed for new people. Is it just the time of year?

I know when I was newer I wasn't feeling like I had a place in the voting and comment sections, but I wonder if that is why new people don't speak up.

Help, fellow denizens, maybe we can figure out a way to encourage that type of participation. I personally think it would be nice to get a broader set of opinions.

Thanks
16 posts
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 8 years ago
Well, first we lost Don Roble, an admin that read most new entries. Then site owner Routh realized that, through extensive upgrading and evolving, the site had become unstable, and many changes he tried to make would break something else, so he decided to switch to a new type of...how to say...format? A better-made site with everything brought over. Unfortunately, he was forced to flip the switch early, and we lost more members when several things in the site were broken for over a week.

I think the biggest problem is that people just aren't popping in. I'm not really an aspiring writer anymore, I have nothing to post. I'd like to think that this is just temporary, just something that happened because summer has arrived and people are going on vacation or going out with friends and will just come back later.

But, it's quite easy to say that there are still people here, there are just a lack of posts. The members online bar (right now) shows that there have been 9 people on less than 24 hours.

We'll get back on track.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 8 years ago
I haven't been reading or rating as much over the past two months as I had done over the past year or so; this isn't down to a lack of interest, but a lack of time on my part.

The Den does go through periods of quiescence but, it never really lasts long.

We did indeed lose Don, didn't we, and I believe, we are indeed feeling that. He used to read, rate and comment on virtually every single piece which was submitted on the Den. He's very much missed and the reasons for his leaving, in my eyes, should never have come about. So, yep, we're a man down, and perhaps a little 'morale' down too for a bit... well, I was anyhow - I can't speak for others, obviously.

Then there is the simple fact that this is a writing site, and people will and do come and go with the seasons... some are creative with the winter, others not so with spring and visa versa. Some times, life just sucks too much outa you to allow you to lose yourself in this paradise, and then other times, some will get lost for months.

By all accounts though, there is no need to worry, Fairy.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
tjwell01
tjwell01 Posted 8 years ago
I can see how it would fluctuate. The main problem with writing sites is being are too narcissistic.
Kerri-Emmitt
I'm not sure 'Narcissistic' can be used to described the Den and it's members. Most are very unconfident with their work and come seeking help and praise.
Administrator

flickeringfairy
Narcissism eludes me in writing. I am constantly questioning my abilities, how cliche it is, and always worried about how it will be taken.

With that said, is there a way to reach out to newbies to assure them that even inexperienced writers have opinions we would like to hear? Can we do anything to help make people comfortable not only with the idea of sharing their own writings, but also their critiques of others?

What about some sort of tit for tat? Nah, that would probably have people making stuff up just to get rewards. IDK. What about a welcome letter, or video section, or a greeter whose job it is to encourage new members to participate on both halves of the writing/rating coin?
Kerri-Emmitt
There has been quite a lot of good ideas for the Den flying around recently (yours included Fairy) but, because of the personal restrictions for the founder of the site - time and money wise - these sort of developments will come at a later stage of the site 'modernisation'. I suggested podcasts a while back and you have now suggested video but from my understanding this would mean upgrading the servers and the like... to say the least, the Den could do with a much higher rate of donations!
Administrator

Kerri-Emmitt
To address the other idea of a staff member being allocating to look after the new members; all the admin try to be around as much as possible to read, rate, comment, help edit work and discuss matters. However, I do appreciate there has be a lull in activity lately, but I assure you, this will pick up.

If anyone feels they need any help whatsoever, myself, Verm, Kt and others are only a message away.
Administrator

flickeringfairy
Thank you Kerri for your responses and compliment. Podcasts would be cool as well.

As soon as I can free up some cash flow, I will be sure to make a donation. I'd also gladly volunteer time to help in whatever way possible. Although, how helpful I could be comes into question, as I have somewhere near zero knowledge of working on a website and computers and most of that I imagine has to be done by the big man on campus. Smile
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 8 years ago
It doesn't take much, Fairy, to help out the Den.

And I always like to think of this little number, if I feel bad: Every famous writer didn't start out that way. At one time, before the fame and publishing, sometimes before puberty, they were exactly like us: feeling bad about their writings, striving to make them better, and reaching out as far as possible, beyond all the rejection letters, dreaming of a tomorrow where their stories are the next bit hit. Why not us?
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 8 years ago
Sorry; I've been a little engrossed in other things lately, but I'm hoping that will change very soon, and that I'll be back in full swing to help out here. Smile

Hi to all, by the way
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 7 years ago
The way you effortlessly - well, seemingly so, to us - churn out wonderful stories, Verm, I'm very surprised you have anytime to read whatsoever!! Having said that, I have posted the last 20 pages of Arroba! Really hope you can find the time to have a read. Eagerly awaiting your comment! Smile
Administrator

Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 7 years ago
I'll get to it very soon; promise! Been waiting for that. Smile
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
kt6550
kt6550 Posted 7 years ago
I get the feeling that sometimes I am the only one reading. And I feel a bit silly, because I am still having problems posting, and I have things to post.
Summertime is slow; people enjoy the outdoors. But we do need more people reading and rating. I really don't want to get a reputation as the only critic on the Den.
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 7 years ago
If memory recalls, there are other critics here. Kerri, for one, Verm another...though none do as much as you Kt. I'm trying to pick up though--I've been horrible through the years.
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 7 years ago
It has been pointed out on a few occasions that summer is slow, and it's true.

I'm not getting a lot of time to visit at the moment either (though I wish it was because I was strolling & having fun outdoors, rather than being hemmed in at work; the holiday season, eh?).

kt, without disparaging Verm, Kerri & co I would say that you are the den's most consistent & revered critic. A 'good one' from yourself is an all day high. But the den without kt (at least in my time here) is akin to tea without water.

Looking forward to the resolution of your posting troubles.
Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion:Dnavarre, kt6550, Rob Kosy, Vermithrax, Kerri-Emmitt, flickeringfairy, tjwell01