Haiku

Last updated on 14 years ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 14 years ago
I've never truly delved into the world of the Haiku. What in your opinion makes a good haiku?
Matt Coiner
Administrator and general goober

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Routh
Routh Posted 14 years ago
Obviously a good Haiku must have meaningful imagery. It must instill an image of the concept at hand with only a very few words. A great haiku should leave the reader pondering the statement and picking apart it's meaning afterwards, giving a full impact of what you were trying to get across. Kinda like a chinese proverb, but far more artistic..
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Sariel
Sariel Posted 14 years ago

Routh wrote:Kinda like a chinese proverb, but far more artistic..

Best wording I have ever heard anyone use to describe it.

I totally agree. I've written a lot of haiku in my time.
~Matt!
"Life is funny. You start out with limitless potential, but time is constantly shaving away the possibilities. Every choice you make is the choice not to do a thousand other things."
Mythbhavd
Post some Haiku, Sariel. Smile
Matt Coiner

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Routh
Kinda off topic - but on the topic of haiku:

I have just added a haiku writing type, allowing those who have haikus to uniquely identify them as such.
Chris Routh

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Sariel
Well, I added a couple haiku, but I think I am unimpressed with them. Written to quickly, not enough inspiration
~Matt!
"Life is funny. You start out with limitless potential, but time is constantly shaving away the possibilities. Every choice you make is the choice not to do a thousand other things."
Mythbhavd
The newest seems very much a classic topic, especially for an asian verse.
Matt Coiner

Sariel
yes, most definitely. We have a million cherry blossom trees round my neck of the woods, which makes it very easy to fall into that style
~Matt!
Routh
I actually really liked the newest one. Makes me picture an anime scene. You may be unimpressed with it - but it still does what a haiku should.
Chris Routh

Sariel

Routh wrote:
I actually really liked the newest one. Makes me picture an anime scene. You may be unimpressed with it - but it still does what a haiku should.

good... glad to hear that. Smile
I will admit, I tend to be too self-critical when it comes to my own work, so I am unimpresssed with a lot of it
~Matt!
Mythbhavd
Yeah, I agree with Chris. Actually, instead of anime, it brought to mind the scenes from Nobunaga's Ambition II from the SNES. One of the things you can do with your generals is to hold a tea ceremony. During the tea ceremony, your characters recite haiku and poetry. The better the poetry, the more loyal they become. And, the entire time the poetry is being recited, cherry blossom leaves drift across the screen.
Matt Coiner

Sariel

Mythbhavd wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Chris. Actually, instead of anime, it brought to mind the scenes from Nobunaga's Ambition II from the SNES. One of the things you can do with your generals is to hold a tea ceremony. During the tea ceremony, your characters recite haiku and poetry. The better the poetry, the more loyal they become. And, the entire time the poetry is being recited, cherry blossom leaves drift across the screen.

omg, I have not played Nobunaga's Ambition in many many moons. Was an awesome game.

Glad to know the imagery is there. Smile
~Matt!
Sariel
After reading mythbhavd's hauku, realization struck me... Ever notice that no one ever titles haiku?
~Matt!
Routh
It's often hard to title haiku since they are so short, without almost giving the whole thing away
Chris Routh

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.