in desperate need of criticism

Last updated on 10 months ago
mirat_h
mirat_h Posted 8 years ago
i'm a 16 year old who wants to apply to college next year and i just want to know if there's any scope for me as a writer, can anyone rate a story i wrote?
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 8 years ago
People will surely get to your post when possible, but let's focus on your aspiring career. First off, there's always hope. Even if your writings are the worst of the worst (funny story about that--remind me to talk about it soon), you can become one of the best. It could take a few months (of which I would be jealous) or, more probably) years to become a published writer, and even more after which to become successful. Just because a writing is bad now, doesn't matter the writer is hopeless.

College and writing aren't the easiest things to put together, mostly because writing is more about opinions than facts, such as math or science. I would consider a creative writing class and a journalism class. Back to opinions, though, you have to remember that a creative writing class can't give you a pass to become a writer--it's about yourself. A CW class will teach you a few basic things, such as characterization, imagery, and how to write in a different way than just writing something...it's hard to explain, but if you know it then you know it. It's the difference between "He walked over and sat down with everyone's eyes on him." and "He slumped towards the chair on the far side of the room, his mind willed numb and free from the countless stares judging him from his sopping raincoat and heavy brimmed hat."

Meanwhile, a journalism class allows you to get first-hand experience and criticism.

Overall, the best thing for a writer, far more than any class or instruction manual, is to read. Go over every genre, not just the one you're interested in. And don't be afraid to look back into the children's section--most of those are better than most books in the other places. A book in the children's section is most assuredly a book--the characters are well done and good examples without being too complicated, the plots are interesting, a good many are original, and the imagery is basic enough to be a perfect picture.

So, just keep writing and read as much as you can, and you'll improve.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
mirat_h
thanks, Grin
i'm reminding u about the funny story??????????? Pfft
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 8 years ago
...dang it. You reminded me. Well, you may not get this--it may be a personal funny. The other day I decided to root around in the family computer, which I used years ago and haven't truly touched since I got my own. After deleting things that were taking up space (games and useless pictures and whatnot) I found a document. The first story I had ever written, some four or five years ago, was in there...well, most of it was. The first five or six chapters were gone, replaced with version 2. The rest remained the same. I decided to read through it, to see what I could see.

I got to page 2 before leaving with embarrassment. I didn't delete it, though...I may need it one day, for whatever reason. I played with the idea of posting it, but thought that I shouldn't torture my friends.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
mirat_h
haha, i'm sure many ppl cringe with horror at their very first attempts at writing. HAHAHA
chancematthews01
chancematthews01 Posted 10 months ago
I am a new amateur writer. I have book one already posted. I would really like help with editing. Do a Search for "Chi Warrior Saga - Book 1"
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.