nook/kindle?

Last updated on 10 years ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 10 years ago
Just got a nookcolor for christmas and was wondering if anyone else is using an ereader.
Matt Coiner
Administrator, husband, dad, avid reader, sometimes writer

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
I've had my Kindle for a year and it works very well. The Inkscreen allows me to read for hours upon hours without the headache associated with electronic screens. I think the Nookcolor just has a normal electronic screen, right?

My favorite part about Ereaders are the Public Domain books (the classics), which are free to everyone. In stores you have to pay for the publication price, but not on these!
Dante
Dante Posted 10 years ago
I have a Kindle 2 - I loooooove it. Getting one for the wife for her birthday so we can share books.
You know what we need? More bacon.
Mythbhavd
Yeah, that's something else I love about the e-readers. You can share books back and forth and you ALWAYS get your book back! Smile

It has the LCD screen, but to be honest, I can't tell a difference between the e-ink and the lcd screen. I dimmed mine about 10% from the default setting and I can read on it for hours. It's much easier on the eyes than my iPod.
Matt Coiner

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
last edited by Mythbhavd on 27-12-2010 19:28
Dante
Dante Posted 10 years ago
I see both sides of this, in terms of win/lose. I can carry a hundred books around, but (even though the battery lasts for a month), I still need power.

Plus, you can't exactly sell your book back to a used bookstore. Once you buy it, that copy is yours -- at least until Amazon/B&N decides it isn't. Of course, cracking the DRM and downloading an unencumbered copy is certainly possible.. not that I've ever done such a thing with 'my' books.

There are other, minor issues. The older something is, the less likely it is to appear electronically - unless you get past a certain age, or those timeless classics. For example, I'm reading the autobiography of a certain former peanut farmer-turned president that I got through BookMooch (www.bookmooch.com). No chance of that appearing in a kindle format.

Soo, there you go. I love e-readers, but they aren't without flaws. Nothing will beat the feel of a solid, well-made book.
You know what we need? More bacon.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 10 years ago
I've toyed with the idea of buying one of these and I have thought the very same things as you both have mentioned above, and because I have a thing for gadgets!

But, what stops me is none of the above; I have a thing for actually holding a physical book in my hand, smelling it, enjoying it, appreciating it. I believe this is why I'll never buy one; that and the fact that I love scouting the second hand book stores every so often to see what old treasures I can find and as Dante pointed out, you just can't do that with the e-readers. But I can see the pro's too... I don't know, perhaps I will one day.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
theneos
theneos Posted 10 years ago
I just got a kindle 3 last week and i'm loving it. I am in a place (China) where there're no English books for sale save for some of the famous cities like Shanghai or Beijing so im stuck with reading on my laptop and while I am used to reading on my laptop for hours even when im lying on the bed, the kindle just made my reading easier.

I still miss the smell of books, going through secondhand bookstores but in the situation im in, im glad i bought the kindle. was thinking of kindle or nook color. it would be nice to have colored screen but for me, since i would be mostly reading pocketbooks that only have texts, and i prefer a long battery life, the kindle won. Smile
Mythbhavd
Mmmm...the smell of a book! I love the smell of a book and the feel of it in my hands. Yep, I don't ever see myself fully giving up books. I think I'm addicted to the ink. But, I definitely love the e-reader.
Matt Coiner

Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
E-readers are nice to have because you can carry around literally hundreds of books in the thickness of a DVD case. Not only that, but the books usually cost much less than at a bookstore (of course, you should support stores as well). Not to mention they're good for the trees. Also, I've heard people being impressed with my Kindle, a few even saying that if they had one, they would read. If technology is what people need to start reading, then give it to 'em!

And, yes, having the actual book is nice, but...well, out-dated and (dare I say it?) inferior now. They won't ever go away, but E-readers are a definite step into the future.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.