What are you reading right now?

Last updated on 10 years ago
the_nev_a_prospect
the_nev_a_prospect Posted 10 years ago
I didn't see any simillar topic so I'll post my own.

Not sure if this is the right place to post it so feel free to move it to a different forum if necessary.

I'll start: Joseph Heller: Catch-22 down to the 1/3 and love it so far.
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
"Christine" by Stephen King. Very excellent so far.

"Legends of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table." Nice, but makes no sense. Need an abridged version.

"The Lord of the Rings" (trilogy version). I've been reading this for ten months and I'm still in Book 1 of "Fellowship of the Ring."
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 10 years ago
The Bone Collector, by Jeffrey Deaver; a perennial series favourite.

Night Shift by Stephen King, in my car.

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, JK Rowling, by my bedside.

Odd Hours, Dean Koontz.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 10 years ago
"Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. Completely scared about the moral of this story.

Also just finished 1984, if you haven't read it. You should give it a try.
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
Shinalisz
Shinalisz Posted 10 years ago
The Tragedy of Man by Imre Madách. Every students have to read it here, but it is actually, a magnificent work. I recommend it to everyone who likes Faust for example. It is available in English translation, and is quite good. You can take a look at it here: http://mek.niif.hu/00900/00918/html/index.htm
"I'm the most afraid of people seeing me as I see them."
deadalready
deadalready Posted 10 years ago
"Let the Right One In" by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

I want to get the book finished before the movie comes out.
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?

-Ernest Hemingway
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 10 years ago
'Blue Eyed Boy' by Joanne Harris. An absorbing, dark read so far! Highly recommend if you like the slightly obscure book with deep psychological roots.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Malicepoint
I didn't realize you were reading catch-22 nev.

What do you think of Yosariaun (I can't spell his name without the book)?
the_nev_a_prospect
I like him. He's generally a person disenchanted with the bullshit of society. He comes off as a strong person and not just some whimp who's scared of dieing, but a person who genuinly believes that he's got something to live for even if in his mind he can't figure out what is it exactly. He's not secretive or two-faced, he eagerly tells all of his superiors about evading flights. He just really believes that he wants to live and nobody can convince him otherwise.

At the same time he reminds me of me in his attitude towards life. " He liked the girl with the yellow panties. He could make love to her whenever he wanted, without the need to fall in love with her. So Yossarian fell in love with her. " He's not orthodoxal in his way, he tries to break the rules, evade the trivial, live his life his own way, and even if he sometimes fails at that it's okay, and that makes him human again. He's not fixated on being controversial, it's what he honestly believes in.

Mind you I'm only half-way through the book.
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
last edited by the_nev_a_prospect on 29-09-2010 04:55
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 10 years ago
Yet Yossarian can't get past the dead tent-mate. He considers the war a sideshow he wants to avoid.
the_nev_a_prospect
Yes, but he still does a lot of flights. "*General raises flights to 40* *Yossarian has 31* Yossarian went to the infirmiry convinced that he'd stay there untill the end of the war. Ten days later the general raised the number of the required flights to 45 just as Yossarian had made his 37th."

He could easily stay in the hospital for as long as he likes, but he seems undecided in a way that I don't quite understand. I'll read on see how it goes on.

The way I see it so far his main point in the book is that he is human, he is very straightforwardly shown to make mistakes and afterwards regret them (as in where he tears up the note with the Italian girls address on it). While most people around him tend to adapt reality to cover up their mistakes, play it like that's what they always intended to do (which is also the millitary's way of dealing with mistakes) he actually goes back to search for the pieces of the note. He can't rely on his peers either to support him or comfort him, like men often do, tell him something like "She isn't worth it." or "At least you got her on her back.". He doesn't really care for that sort of thing, since he's already alienated from them, because he's already very different from them - they don't mind dieing for the war, or those who do don't have the will to act up on it.
last edited by the_nev_a_prospect on 29-09-2010 07:33
Malicepoint
I thought one if his conversations was hilarious. ID

This is it.this is with a really crazy women after they slept together.

"Dove?" He asked. and he held his breath in suspense.
"Napoli"
"Germans"
Americani"
His heart cracked and he fell in love. He wondered if she would marry him.
"Tu sei pazzo," she told him with a plesant laugh.
" Why am I crazy" he asked.
"Perche non posso sposare."
"Why can't you get married?"
"Because I am not a virgin," she answered.
" What has that got to do with it?"
" Who will marry me? No one wants a girl who is not a virgin."
"I will.I'll marry you."
"Ma non posso sposarti"
"Why can't you marry me?"
"Perche non pozzo."
" Why am I crazy?"
"Perche vuoi spsarmi"
Yossarian wrinkled his forehead with quizzical amusement."You won't marry me because I'm crazy, and you say I'm crazy because I want to marry you? Is that right?"
"Si"
"Tu sei pazz'!" He told her loudly.
"Perche?" She shouted back at him indignantly, her unavoidable round breads rising and falling in a saucy huff beneath the pink chemise as she sat up in bed indignantly.
" Because you won't marry me."
"Stupido!" she shouted back at him, and smacked him loudly and flamboyantly on the chest with the back of her hand. "Non posso sposarti! Non capisci? Non posso sposarti."
"Oh, sure, I understand. And why can't you marry me ?"
"Perche sei pazzo!"
"And why am I crazy?"
"Perche vuoi spsarmi"
"Because I want to marry you. Carina, ti amo" He explained, and he drew her gently back down to the pillow. "Ti amo molto."
"Tu sei Passo," she murmured in reply , flattered.
"Perche?"
Because you say you love me. How can You love girl who is not a virgin?"
" Because I can't marry you."
She bolted up right again in a threatening rage."Why cant you marry me?" She demanded, ready to clout him again if he gave an uncomplimentary reply. " Just because I am not a virgin?"
"No, no darling. Becasue You're crazy."

I say right now if you think You can beat that. I will applaud you.Grin

(Took ten minutes to copy.)
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 10 years ago
You are never going to beat anything in this book. It was a work of sheer genius. It is genius when it starts and it is genius when it ends.

I don't think any of it really means much. It's just an exaggeration of how life works. Joseph Heller wasn't out to prove anything; he only wanted to write a funny story.

Major Major Major is a classic example of superior power being unbeatable no matter the right or wrong of it. It doesn't mean anything; it's the way life works, that's all.

No, this isn't a debate. I've read the entire book again and again and it only my take. Don't start on me.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.