And then there were none

Last updated on 10 years ago
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
A few months ago...okay, half a year ago, I suggested starting a book club, where Den members would obtain copies of a chosen book, read to certain chapters (limits!) and discuss online. I found a good'n.

I say Mrs. Agatha Christie's "And Then there were none" also sold as "Ten Little Indians."

It's a short mystery, only 170 pages in paperback, and about ten people are invited as guests to a small island on which a family lives.

Shortly after arriving, however, they start to die one by one.

I think this would be the perfect starting place for the Book Club...if not many of you have read it, that is.

If you'd like to nominate this book for first reading, post on and we'll choose a date.
Routh
Routh Posted 10 years ago
When I was in grade 7, 'And Then There Were None' was a standard book that was assigned to students in english class. We were made to do essays and book reports about it. I wasn't a fan merely because I tend to dislike being forced to read something. Blame my red hair.

I suppose I should give it another go though...
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Dnavarre
I was kind of hoping for a book that would be new to people...Angry

Of course, the seventh grade was a while ago for you, right? And for a book you didn't want to read, you probably didn't pay too much attention.
last edited by Dnavarre on 22-09-2010 21:51
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 10 years ago
I can honestly say; I've never read an Agatha Christie in my life.

If I can find a copy; I'll give it a go.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 10 years ago
Sounds interesting.
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
Dnavarre
We need some more takers. We got: Me, Routh, and Verm saying sure. Malice saying maybe (or, at least, not yes).

Don? Prito? Kerri? Come on, give it a go.
the_nev_a_prospect
the_nev_a_prospect Posted 10 years ago
I'll read it. Smile I've got a copy at home in my native language. I'll get an English copy though for the cost of a grande latte at Starbucks. Honestly reading is on such a decline here, that used books are sold on flee-market like stands on the streets for 1-1.5 Euro a piece. Pfft

I like the idea of a book club. There's hundreds of books at my parents place, most of which, I've hardly had any motivation to read.
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
last edited by the_nev_a_prospect on 28-09-2010 03:20
Dnavarre
Well that's...well, it's not great. But fortunate. I mean, it's not good that reading is on a decline. America isn't doing much better.
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 10 years ago
I read it as a kid and that's a long time ago. I could read it again. What's the goal here? What are we supposed to do? I'd give it a go whatever it is.
last edited by Don Roble on 28-09-2010 03:39
Dnavarre
It's a book club, yo. We set a book, let our members get ahold of it, and set reading goals for a bit of time and discuss.
Don Roble
Okay. I have my research done and need to write my story but I have some time now. Yea, I'll give it a shot.
last edited by Don Roble on 28-09-2010 03:50
Dnavarre
Well, there are sixteen chapters and two epilogue chapters stuck in 173 pages. Let's see...how long should we take to read it, giving mind to people who borrowed the book from a library.

Four weeks...no, much too long. That would be about 4 chapters and (44 pages) a week. However, 2 weeks would be too short...3 weeks, perhaps? Six chapters (counting the two epilogue chapters) a week? About 66 pages?

Would anyone object to a three week reading, six chapters a week?
the_nev_a_prospect
the_nev_a_prospect Posted 10 years ago
three weeks is good - how often should we comment - once per chapter or once per week?
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
Dnavarre
Well, it depends. If you get into it and read the set chapters in two days, you probably should wait two or three days to comment. Just speak up about your predictions or how you feel about a certain character. It's a mystery/murder novel, so there should be plenty of room for talk. You can comment on a single chapter or the section in general.
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 10 years ago
When I said interesting, I meant yes.
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
Dnavarre
Me, Routh, Don, Malice, Nev, and Verm. How long should we wait to start reading? There might be some more takers in a few days and, of course, people have to get a hold of a copy. Next Monday (the 4th) or later than that?
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 10 years ago
I'm in too. Can't go anything before Monday anyway (trip to Paris) so the 4th is perfect for me, as long as I can get hold of a copy. Look forward to it.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Dnavarre
Okay, readers. Try to obtain a copy of this book by Friday, October 8th and read through chapters 6 (six included) by that same date so discussion can begin.
Don Roble
Wow! I read this a long time ago and I had forgotten how good and different it was. Oops! Said that too soon.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.