The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Last updated on 11 years ago
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 11 years ago
I recently discovered the wonderfully, complex world of Carlos Riuz Zafon and feel compelled to share him.

This book is uninterrupted magic, sorrow, love and death. A complicated mix of ages set through thirty odd years of early twentieth century Barcelona. Carlos describes 'Daniel' - a world filled with old books, older traditions, prejudice and sacrifice. Of a talented, yet unknown writer and all his struggles. But what keeps you reading is the young Daniel. As Carlos plays through his life and all of the connecting people, you love him, you cry for him and quite honestly, just for a moment, want to be him; even in a civil war stricken Barcelona, as a teenager, Carlos somehow manages to make this world sound so inviting and uncomplicated.

It's a powerfully seductive, twisting, imaginative tale and I fully recommend it. Originally written in Carlos' native tongue, Spanish, and then translated - that only adds to the depth of the book.

Here is a snippet from the book; the first chapter which hooked me, into reading more.

'Daniel, you mustn't tell anyone what you're about to see today. Not even your friend Tomas. No one.'

A smallish man with vulturine features framed by thick grey hair opened the door. his impenetrable aquiline gaze rested on mine.

'Good morning, Isaac. This is my son, Daniel,' my father announced. 'He'll be eleven soon, and one day the shop will be his. It's time he knew this place.'

The man called Isaac nodded and invited us in. A blue-tinted gloom obscured the sinuous contours of a marble staircase and a gallery of frescoes peopled with angels and fabulous creatures. We followed our host through a palatial corridor and arrived at a sprawling round hall where a spiralling basilica of shadows was pierced by shafts of light from a high glass dome above us. A labyrinth of passageways and crammed bookshelves rose from base to pinnacle like a beehive, woven with tunnel, steps, platforms and impossible geometry. I looked at my father, stunned. He smiled at me and winked.

'Welcome to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, Daniel.'
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
last edited by Kerri-Emmitt on 22-07-2010 19:41
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 11 years ago
May have to get a copy.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 11 years ago
Oh, well if you do, I will be very interested to hear what you think of it.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.