Speed.

Last updated on 10 years ago
ArnWeber
ArnWeber Posted 10 years ago
I am always surprised when I hear about somebody who wrote their novel in three days. Agatha Christie, Stephen King... how do they do it? I recall the Honore de Balzac would write nonstop for many hours at a time, not even sleeping for a couple of days!

H.P. Lovecraft, who died in his 40s, had written an estimated 100,000+ letters, and hundreds of stories, articles, essays, etc. on top of all that!

Then there was Asimov - by far one of the most prolific authors of all times. There was a year in which he had a book published every nine days, on average!

So, I ask you:
How do they do it?
last edited by ArnWeber on 18-05-2010 18:08
ArnWeber
I want to try that someday - just spend a weekend typing out a story, and see what becomes of it. I highly doubt that I'd get beyond 25,000 words.
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 10 years ago
Lol, take your time man... pace yourself as you see fit.

If you are having troubles coming up with long stories right now, then i suggest waiting on the weekend thing

It might be fun to try but I suggest getting something solid out before you try. I've noticed you have a lot of "beginnings" to stories. Try finishing one of them before you do the weekend blitz

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
Routh
Routh Posted 10 years ago
One of the most important things to remember is the factor of time available due to the era, and the country they lived in.

An author of yesteryear living in a peaceful country has much more time to write than someone living in a war-torn country or someone living in today's ever-busy capitalist, and time driven, global society.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
ArnWeber

Pritrostell wrote:
Lol, take your time man... pace yourself as you see fit.

If you are having troubles coming up with long stories right now, then i suggest waiting on the weekend thing

It might be fun to try but I suggest getting something solid out before you try. I've noticed you have a lot of "beginnings" to stories. Try finishing one of them before you do the weekend blitz

Oh I can finish them. Indeed, I have been working on the succeeding chapters.
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 10 years ago
What would be the point? Words, in and of themselves, mean little just to be written. I can spend an hour reading and rereading a paragraph to get it done the way I want. I can write a short bit as fast as I can type. Neither one means anything.

You can do what you like but that's my take on it.
last edited by Don Roble on 18-05-2010 21:27
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.