Smoking: Why I'm against it.

Last updated on 3 years ago
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 9 years ago
This is a very long winded debate that will never cease to exist until either cigarettes OR people do.

I'll just shorten it to points AGAINST it.

- Money sink
- Dangerous to health of you and others
- Inconsiderate

Lol, shortest i can make it. The main reason I bring this up is because I found an article in the papers yesterday that intrigued me - plus i like to find things to shove in all my smoker friends faces Pfft

"China, Honk Kong: Chemical extracts from cigarette butts - so toxic they kill fish - can be used to protect steel pipes from rusting, a study in China has found.

In a paper published in the American Chemical Society's bi-weekly journal Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, the scientists in China said they identified nine chemicals after immersing cigarette butts in water. They applied the extracts to N8o, a type of steel used in oil pipes, and found that they protected the steel from rusting."

Just a thought out there anyways, not trying to spawn personal attacks or anything. Just an opinionated conversation. Political and important global conversations always get the better hold of me Smile

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
20 posts
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 9 years ago
I'm very glad I gave up five months ago but whilst your smoking you don't feel that way - of course you don't, its addictive. Most people will get there eventually, it is becoming more socially unacceptable and less wide spread so as a civilization, we are on the right track... But, all the newspaper articles, best mates and nagging spouses normally doesn't make a difference what so ever because in my experience everyone has a 'right time' to quit and all the friendly advice and bollockings won't make that moment come any quicker. It just happens. Its irrational at the bests of times. Just so you know.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
last edited by Kerri-Emmitt on 16-05-2010 11:00
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 9 years ago
Let's see smoking to me is something that people use as a back fire when life is to tough. It comes my nerves as my mom says, and to tell you the truth I don't see how. We all know the facts about the deadly effects of smoking but no one truly cares for the facts. So I think if you smoke good for you (hope you quit), but your thinking about it, don't do it, it had led many people to go on to other drugs that are supposedly going to kill them.;
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 9 years ago
That's a big generalization, Malice! I have quit just fine without feeling an overwhelming need to replace it with something stronger and more life threatening. As many, many other people manage to also. Now I'm not saying that this doesn't happen but it's also a little wrong to generalize quite that much by saying its worse to quit, when in fact, it is not.

Just my opinion, as always.
Administrator

Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 9 years ago
Let's continue on where I had left off, for your sake Kerri.

Smoking in general is like a fad to where I lived, and I hated it. You should know that I despise smoking to such an extent that I would have given just about anything for the thing to be obliterated.

Here's a quick story of why I hate smoking this much, when I lived in the good old state of Florida, I had a best friend and he was a cool at the time. As we were such good kids at a younger age he began to be drawn into this negative crowd, I on the other hand was a little different. I took to reading at that age. (note this was 4 to 5 five years ago) he stopped hanging out with me, and I moved away to Alabama where I am now. When I went back to visit a relative at the same place two years ago I found out that he was a full on smoker, alcoholic and even did a little weed. This was hard to believe, I could hardly believe such could possibly happen to him. But to no avail I convinced his dad and my parents to allow me to stay over at his house. I found through this night that his father had broken up with his mom and half the time his father was gone half the time.

Maybe how you said it was a huge generalization was true but as many of my friends even now say, "smoking and doing weed just makes everything go away"

But other than that I was entirely wrong. You could say that I missed my friend. (a long sad sigh) heh Frown
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
YoungWritter
YoungWritter Posted 9 years ago
i very much agree.
i think smoking just hurts your health conditions.
and for those who have asma.(idk if spelt right)
and if you have children it doesn't put a very postive outlook on you. there going to think that they can do that themselves at a young age.
I am against smoking to. My Great Grandma died from it. She got some kind of lung thing.
Not to be rude to those who are for smoking.
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 9 years ago
Quick, let's start up P.A.D.S; People against Destructive Smoking.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Pritrostell
lol, so not happening sincerely

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
ArnWeber
ArnWeber Posted 9 years ago
There isn't enough proof that second-hand smoke inhalation is truly dangerous.
Pritrostell
Personally, don't need proof... If it's not naturally in my environment there is most likely some kind of harmful substance...

Also, when around second hand smoke I cough, but I don't cough when breathing in the air... and I'm stopping there before a pollution convo breaks out Pfft

ArnWeber
ArnWeber Posted 9 years ago

Pritrostell wrote:
Personally, don't need proof... If it's not naturally in my environment there is most likely some kind of harmful substance...

Also, when around second hand smoke I cough, but I don't cough when breathing in the air... and I'm stopping there before a pollution convo breaks out Pfft

Same here, for both paragraphs. Just thought that I'd add that fact.
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 9 years ago
Second hand smoke is definately hazardous.

Smoking and weed and alcohol are not related.

I smoke because I want to. I won't smoke in my home, my car or in front of children.
the_nev_a_prospect
the_nev_a_prospect Posted 8 years ago
If you dip a few cigarretes in water you can kill a horse with the resulting infusion. The fact is nicotine is mostly destroyed due to the temperature of combustion of tobacco and most of the harm of smoking comes from the by-products of combustion itself.

So there's a few better alternatives to smoking, like snuff or snuss.

Nothing beats a cigarette though. : D It's the 'how can something that tastes so bad feel so good' factor IMO
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
last edited by the_nev_a_prospect on 27-09-2010 19:47
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 8 years ago
Wow... talk about forum revivals.

Not that you've done anything wrong but something like this - an off topic forum thread - is better left alone.

I'm not trying to be rude but lot of forums do not like and are strongly against forum revivals. It takes up space of newer posts and is sometimes a note of people just trying to boost their post count.

I am not accusing you of anything by any means, just merely letting you know. I don't know how the other admins feel on this subject but I am kindly asking you to not revive old posts anymore.

Something that is ongoing is alright to add to though, such as a thread of xbox live account names or a thread of book reviews or recipies.

the_nev_a_prospect
the_nev_a_prospect Posted 8 years ago
Dude...
A small man, after the dice fall in his favour rejoices. A bigger man, asks himself if he might have been unintentionally cheating, in his passion to win?
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 8 years ago
again, like i said, I wasn't trying to be rude or blame you or anything, I was merely saying that forum revivals is a pet peeve of mine and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't do it.

I know it's nothing major but it's just one of those things that gets to me. I've run forums in the past and all this does is create problems and anger people - mind you I really don't know why - but over time i've grown accustom to just not having it done.

Sorry if I offended you or anything.

Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 8 years ago
Prito is right, dude. Threads have a lifespan; done is done. No harm done but listen to Prito. We have staff here for a reason.
last edited by Don Roble on 27-09-2010 22:33
mcglone
mcglone Posted 8 years ago
sorry if this was already mentioned...

Malicepoint wrote:
it had led many people to go on to other drugs that are supposedly going to kill them.;

I disagree with that because it doesn't always lead people to do other kinds of drugs, thats just ridiculous. I, myself, am no saint i can give you that, i have tempered with a few drugs in my lifetime... not exactly proud of it all though i must say but i dont think smoking led me to do them... not at all.
in my past i used to be a stoner, i am not proud of that either but i did this before i even smoked cigarettes but to be fair smoking weed led me to smoking cigarettes... which is kind of the other way round but ya'no.
i used to smoke to get rid of the stress, i now smoke because i "need" to, well i dont exactly need to but you get the craving for one and its like a must have situation. i do wish i never started because it has caused me nothing but trouble... and i have a heart condition as it is anyway... despite my own condition i smoke anyway.
sometimes i smoke because i am hungry and it makes it go away... but thats just pure laziness (im sorry world) since i started smoking i have lost 4st now making me approx 8st in weight... 64kg? i don't know.
sorry about all this rambling on i just talk loads of .... sometimes.

Smoking cigarettes didnt make me do other drugs, it gave me the false thought that i was "popular" because i was standing with a group of my friends instead of being left alone in the room.

Smoking is a habit which should really be banned/destroyed or something because it does kill people, it does ruin lives but at the same time it helps with depression... wait a minute, doesnt chocolate already do that Wink haha.

so yeah there was no point to reading this just me talking loads of bollocks lol
mcglone
mcglone Posted 8 years ago
ouch erm... i read the comments before my last one and before you kill me for "forum revival" i am sorry lol Smile dont kill me
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 8 years ago
That's okay mcglone but as a general view we try not to revive these things after a certain period. I'll reply and get you off the hook. lol

I must say though, I will have been a non-smoker for a year in Feb! I smoked since I was 12 (now 26) and never thought I'd quit; just loved it too much. But now, I'd never start again. I lost weight, quite smoking and then hit the gym to replace it all with something constructive - two years on since I started all that and I feel pretty damn good.

Smoking is overrated and overinflated by it's users. I should know, I use to make excuses about it too. But now I can smell and taste again and more importantly, breathe! (I'm honestly not gloating when I say this, it's just truth.) But now I can run five miles in just over 21 mins, when half a mile use to be a struggle for my lungs; I've never felt healthier in my life. That a lone proved the point to myself; it is worth quitting. You just have to want to do it in the first place, and that takes a certain state of mind.

Peace, out.
Administrator

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.