How long does it take to write a story?

Last updated on 4 years ago
ArnWeber
ArnWeber Posted 9 years ago
How much time do you spend writing each story? How much do you edit it?
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 9 years ago
I don't edit it. I post first drafts/writes. I usually take about an hour to write a chapter, but it may take a while for me to get it down.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 9 years ago
For me it depends what I am writing. My recent novels are 174 pages and 300, so quite long. A chapter can take me days to get right; story wise and as for editing - can take months. I have a friend that proof reads for me which helps loads but even so, if you are writing a complex story it can take me months to get the narrative as a whole right. It's always worth it though.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 9 years ago
personally it takes a couple of hours to get down a chapter for me, but it can take days for me to get the whole chapter thought out in my head.

And just so you know, there is no right or wrong amount of time to take writing a story. As long as you enjoy it and take it at your own pace, thats all that matters Smile

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 9 years ago
The Chronicles are 144,000 words long, and took me the better part of fifteen years to get right.

I can't seem to write anything of less than 5000 words, and they tend to get away from me.

Don't know why this is; I think I just get caught up in the story.

At the moment, a chapter will take me about two -three days, with re-reads, and re-writes.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
ArnWeber
ArnWeber Posted 9 years ago

Vermithrax wrote:
The Chronicles are 144,000 words long, and took me the better part of fifteen years to get right.

I can't seem to write anything of less than 5000 words, and they tend to get away from me.

At the moment, a chapter will take me about two -three days, with re-reads, and re-writes.

How do you write in so verbose a manner?
I find it hard to even write twenty pages, much less the thousand or more that writers like Clancy and King achieve.
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 9 years ago
Well; it takes time. Some of King's books have taken a dozen years or more to complete, while most writers are able to get out a book in a year (me, I'd rather wait several years for a good book than one year for a mediocre one). When you're a beginner, for the first couple of years, a hundred pages is a daunting thing.

We're giving you the same help here; write, read, write, read.

And, don't forget, that book font, spacing, and even the size of the paper is different on books than on a computer. One page, MLA format, on Word, is referred to as a "manuscript page" to tell the difference. In bigger books, the difference between a manuscript copy and a published copy can be more than 200 pages.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 9 years ago
In my opinion there is no amount of words that could hold me from wanting to complete a story. No matter what, if I'm writing, I'm not going to stop until I'm satisfied with what I'm working with, so I say to you Arnweber. Is there a limit to how many words it takes to finish your own story?

Oh and I'm also astonished about how many words Verm can write in one story, he has been doing it longer than me, maybe it's just his age?Hmm
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
Vermithrax
Thanks Malice Smile

I'll take that as a compliment; even a left-handed one.

@ArnWeber
Um, how can I answer a question like that? Basically, I suppose I write pretty much the same way as I speak. That probably means that I speak in a verbose manner; so be it. I'm also English - we made this language. Ask Savage, Kerri, or Rob_Kosy the same question, see what answer they give you.
Vermithrax

Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 9 years ago
I agree with Malice; there isn't any set number of words you should try to achieve. It will be as long or as sort as you feel is right. For instance, my second story; Arroba: The Awakening is 160,000 words, which is around 474 pages if its the size of a paper back and I must admit I had a moment towards the end where I worried for a split second that it may be too long but then I remembered that it had to be this way for the story to work and that kind of put that debate to bed for me.

I think as you get to this point yourself, close to completing a novel, you will go through much decision making and that's all part of the process. I enjoy every part of it as everyone else does so don't over analyze, let it flow freely without pressure and most importantly write until you feel happy with your own words. Smile
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Vermithrax
ArnWeber.

Maybe I answered that last question wrongly. I was tired then; I've slept a little now.

Verbose is a matter of mind. You have an idea; you want to put it across in a way that hopefully, entertains, and keeps the reader interested. I also have a higher than average vocabulary, and I love words. These two facets work hand-in-hand.

For me personally, that means spending time describing the characters; making them as real as you can. I prefer to write in in the first person - I can tell people what's going through my protagonists mind, what he's feeling, - his opinion and take on any given circumstance.

I also love detail; the more detail in a story, the more believable the ideas you are trying to propound. This is especially true, when you write fantasy. you are trying to make the unbelievable, believable. This can only be achieved by pulling the reader into your world - by making them think, even if only for a while, that the world you're describing, really exists.

Tolkien managed this almost better than anybody I've ever read. He described giant walking and talking trees, and People believed.

He created an entire mythology; because he believed that the English people had no decent mythology of their own. the Greeks had their gods, the Scandinavians had their Valhalla - even your Native Americans had a rich Tapestry of Gods.

We had fairies.

So Tolkien took the fairies, and molded them, gave them a language, and a world to exist in.

And now, we have a mythology. See? It's all in the detail.

That's what I try to attain - if not on such a vast scope.

That's why I'm verbose.

Thank you for listening; end of rant. Smile
Vermithrax

last edited by Vermithrax on 17-05-2010 10:24
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 9 years ago
A story takes as long as it takes and uses as many words as it needs.
LawMatheson
LawMatheson Posted 4 years ago

Vermithrax wrote:

I get what you mean when you say you get caught up in a story, for me, it's almost like 'The DOSCO Files' are writing themselves. I have One chapter posted here, but I have three books worth of material. I am just going back and smoothing things out. I am struggling with word count and pages in a chapter, so this post was helpful.
"We learn from failure, not success." Bram Stoker
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.