Favoriting Option

Last updated on 10 years ago
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 10 years ago
OK, First off this is just an idea. If enough people like it I will do some research into it and hopefully be able to just write up code for it and send it over to Routh as he has alot on his plate in the first place.

So:

The Idea: Allow all Authors with over ten submission (or just all authors if it makes it easier) to select ONE of their writings as their favorite one.

Reason: I just think it would be neat to have people see your favorite submission when they visit your profile.

Options:

Have the favorite linked directly to the profile
Have the favorite title coloured differently
Have the favorite linked along with the "Random Member"
Have the favorite listed in a new category-thingy

(like how along the top you have "the writings" and "the discussions", have a "favorites" link that will update and display every authors favorited submission.

*Those are ideas i think would be neat. Having some or even all of them would be great but might be a bit much. Personally I'm voting for the favorites link and the profile link but that's just me Smile*

So, all in all, what do you think? Suggestions? Changes? Let me know Smile

O and if Routh sees this and wants to dis-allow anything mentioned by all means go for it lol.

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
last edited by Pritrostell on 04-05-2010 20:33
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 10 years ago
Not a bad idea. I wouldn't pick a favorite because I like all my writing.
Allowing others that option would be very good.
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 10 years ago
A fabulous idea, but I'm with Don - just how do you pick a favorite?

I'm sure that, at the time of completion, each piece is that authors favorite; I know it's that way for me.

But, go for it Prito; it would be fun to see.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 10 years ago
Writers here are usually not fixed to a single genre. Moreover, it would throw them into some major dilemma. Nice idea but personally, I think it might require some modifications.
I have an idea: The writers should be given a chance to align their writings. The way the writings appear in the profile is nothing close to arranged and it is a real chore if people are trying to follow multi chapters written by that writer e.g me chasing after Vermithrax's Sentinel. The members might be given an option to align their writings in the following manner:
1. starting from the most highly rated.
2. according to the date of submission
3. custom alignment.
If anyone can help Routh with the coding....err...then I think it is a good idea.
Please give your feedback.
a restless death awaits
Pritrostell
I like the idea blue, it would be a little easier to find things... I sometimes have trouble finding writings in my own page when glancing at what I have written...

And the reason this idea came to me is because out of all my submissions, the one poem i did is my favorite. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing but it seems to me like it's one of my better works.

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
savage_cushions
savage_cushions Posted 10 years ago
Ah..yes..now, I think Blue_Veined has really hit on something. I really do believe it would be a good idea if the Author could put his scribblings in the order that he desires or that he believes will be most helpful to his readers.
Savage Cushions

"If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink"
Darkfire
Darkfire Posted 10 years ago
good idea, go for it.
SEE YOU NEXT EPISODE
Routh
Routh Posted 10 years ago
This is already coded in the new site.. the entire classfication system has been recoded.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
last edited by Routh on 06-05-2010 06:50
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 10 years ago
@Routh
: how do we do the implementation?
a restless death awaits
Routh
Routh Posted 10 years ago
I need to finish the new module before I implement it. One of the biggest things left to code in it is the database import script. The new module uses a completely revamped database structure requiring the old writings db to be imported and converted. I have to verify that we will not lose any writings in the process.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
and then, bam, every writing is gone. It'd probably be best not to tell us that, Routh.
Pritrostell
lol site back-up ftw... I was looking around myself to try some things on here but after reading the entire PDF file up and down, I'm left with nothing Pfft O well... Thanks a lot Routh Smile

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.