The "P" word

Last updated on 10 years ago
savage_cushions
savage_cushions Posted 11 years ago
How many of you, fellow Den Members, have had any of your work published? and where? and how did you achieve this - the ultimate ambition of any and every Amateur Writer. Just curious......
Pfft
Savage Cushions

"If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink"
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 11 years ago
I don't think any of us have. But someone will, eventually.

But "how" is an easy question to answer. Some people have friends who are publishers, or friends who know publishers. Others can buy overpriced "self publishing" kits and then strike a deal with a nearby bookstore's manager to sell it...of course, that gets you nowhere.

The best and most likely thing to do is just pay a publisher to publish you. The problem with that is that they probably won't read it over to check for mistakes, meaning you're on your own in the grammar and mistake areas.

Still, getting published isn't a problem: getting known is. Actually, take a look at how many authors are famous; who many of them got famous AFTER they died? A lot.
Dnavarre
But, on a more on-topic question for the website: How do you get your photos put in a magazine?
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 11 years ago
I myself have never been published Mr Cushions but, to be frank (no that's not an alias I use), there is a lot of work on this site that is worthy of that hallowed state. There is even more that shows the potential for it.

I think there's also that fear of rejection thing, for me anyway.
It's great to get constructive feedback and advice from seasoned and very good writers (like yourself), but the thought of sending anything off to an agent or publisher is akin to standing naked in a street and asking people what they think. Its terrifying

Which leads me Checkmate's enquiry.
An ex-girlfriend of mine sent some naked pictures of myself to a women's magazine.
The rejection letter thanked me for my submission but said I would be an inapropriate centrefold as the staples used by the publication were too big....................
Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 11 years ago
Rob: seriously? Lmao!
a restless death awaits
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 11 years ago
Not everyone wants to be published. I wouldn't have a market for what I write.I'm assuming you want paid for your work. I'm not about to let someone make money on my writing and not pay me.

Getting published is a series of rejections until some bored editor glances at your work.
last edited by Don Roble on 11-04-2010 15:43
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 11 years ago
ya...it's a tough road
a restless death awaits
Dnavarre
What if your favorite writers had given up and not sent in their work to be published? What if they had been too afraid of someone's opinion? Write it. Perfect it. Send it.

And if you think "it's not perfect! It's not good enough!" Then make it good enough.
Rob Kosy
No Blue (not serious), the naked photo part anyway.

savage_cushions
I think the whole money thing is something of a red herring like the ones that swim around in Rob Kosy's head. If all of us in the Den wanted to make money from our writing, we'd be knocking out formulaic soft-core romances for Mr Mills and his chum Mr Boon.

I do think that writers are like musicians, artists and actors, and need to have their self-belief confirmed by an audience. No actor would go out on stage and perform in the knowledge that nobody had turned up to watch the play.

I've always assumed that the world of book publishing is as corrupt as the popular music business, ie; little to do with talent and ability, and plenty to do with your willingness to have sex with Simon Cowell, (well it worked for Susan Boyle!). I decided to put this theory to the test and arranged a romantic liaison with the man at the Debtford Travelodge. Send a stamped addressed envelope to me if you want more details (mark the envelope 'whopper' )

Yes, rejections are tough, repeated rejections are soul-destroying and lead you to question your abilities. That is why the Den is important. Publishers have no time to correct grammatical errors, make helpful comments or suggest improvements, to point out the positives and nagatives.

Rob - sorry to hear your unfortunate experience. Which magazine was it - Peoples' Friend? Womans' Realm? Good Housekeeping?....Wink
Savage Cushions

last edited by savage_cushions on 11-04-2010 19:56
Dnavarre
One of George Martin's works was denied 42 times. By magazines. Before getting picked up.
Don Roble
Since I'm the only one who mentioned money, I'll say this: I write for the pleasure of writing. I publish here for my ego. Still, I'm not about to let anyone make money off what I create while I make nothing.

Money isn't a driving force.
Dnavarre
Writers normally get 35% of the pay the publishers get.
Rob Kosy
It was a People's Friend "After Dark" one-off special Mr Cushions.
They used realy small staples too.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 11 years ago
I have tried and I guess will continue to try to get published but the rejections I have had or complete non replies - haven't affected my desire to write what so ever. As others have said, I write because simply, I love to do it.

I agree with the notion that publishers are just as money driven as any other type of institution. You can send them what many believe, including yoursef, a perfect novel but most of the time it won't even get looked at. It even has an offical name to where your submissions will probably end - The Slush pile! I was kind of mortified when I learnt of this but not totally suprised. Apparently this is where most peoples beloved work stays until they set some eager, junior clerk to look through it for them. And of course this isn't even mentioning the fact that most publishers won't even look at unsolicited submissions now - we all now need literary agents to represent us apparently!

Its frustrating, confusing and very unfair to say the least but thats the way it is. We should still fight for it! I really don't think that we should let it become soul destroying if you really dedicate yourself to getting published. After all if they were looking at your work with a fine tooth comb and rejecting it souly for the quality of your work, that would be horrendous but most don't even get looked at.

To me I feel the panic would come later, if they requested more of your work, then I'd panic and have done because I felt then that someone (important) was indeed reading it and my mind went 'Holy crap!' for weeks until I heard back. They offered publishing to me but at a price I wasn't willing and couldn't pay. As many do now... it's an insult.

Rob, you really should try regardless. It will help the anxity you feel about sending it off and even if you get no's back, remember my earlier words, it's never hopeless, just hard and some lucky ones get there eventually. Smile

Whats frightening for me is this site - I love the closeness of it but that makes it nerve racking for me, more so than some distant editor somewhere in a corporate office making the effort to actually 'not' look at my work. But all the same I continue to post here (even the naughty chapters) because this site is more valuable to me than anything else at the mo where my writing is concerned because we are amature writers and have that in common at least which allows us to guide, comment and help each other. Totally un-replicable.

This will probably come across as a load of waffle. I apologise, I have too much time on my hands today; that's what an Easter Holiday (I didn't really need) and too much caffeine does to me Grin
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
last edited by Kerri-Emmitt on 16-04-2010 13:22
Don Roble
K-E: I would never self-publish. It's a total ripoff.
savage_cushions
Sod the buggers! Let's self-publish "The best of The Den", and be damned!
Savage Cushions

Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 11 years ago
Lolz @ Savage! I'm game!
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
savage_cushions
nice one Kerri! Anybody else....?
Savage Cushions

Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 11 years ago
Yep; count me in.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.