Stephen King: Cell

Last updated on 11 years ago
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 11 years ago
Don't have much time but I'm curious if anybody else has read this so quick times:

Book: Cell

Author: Stephen King

Quick Description: A zombie apocalypse is started and a man (the main character) goes on a journey to find his only son in hopes of saving him from the horde of zombies.

Likes: The story progresses fairly quickly and - if i remember correctly - the chapters aren't very long allowing quick "pick up and go" reading.

Dislikes: Well, I have a few dislikes but they have to do with the actual story so I can't tell you Pfft

Comments: Great story, my absolute favorite book in the world as of right now. The action starts right at the second chapter...

***SPOILER***

Too see the spoiler just drag your cursor over the area between the solid lines. Text was set to white so you can't read it unless you want to.

This was the mini spoiler type thing... stupid spoiler thing offered doesn't work and neither does page break but i think thats just because of it being a forum post. O well, where there's a will theres a way.

Only did this because some people don't like to find out anything about the story unless they read it themselves. Just a small taste of the story anyways, it is on the second chapter after all.

Anyways, I hope to get some comments on this by the time i get back Smile

P.S. sorry I didn't have time to actually get character names or anything like that. Plus, my friend doesn't own the book so that didn't help either.

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
last edited by Pritrostell on 26-03-2010 06:38
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 11 years ago
My mian problem with this story, as with a lot of later Stephen Kings, is the fact that the ending seems rushed.

As with Dreamcatcher, it feels to me, as if King had either gotten bored with the story, or he's in a rush to get onto the next project.

Classics such as The Stand, Tommykockers, and It, were lovingly crafted tour-de-force works, and it's a shame that the later stories tended to suffer this shortfall.

M-eh, maybe it's just me; I like long involved stories, and this just didn't cut it.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 11 years ago
I absolutely loved this book - I was a huge Stephen King fan until his books started to make less and less sense as the years have gone on.
Sometimes it seems like he has a year of clarity and will write some of his best work but then he will always fall back into a world which only makes sense to him and he then produces, well, rubbish, really.

Did you know he literally locks himself in a room for twelve hours a day if he feels he's on the brink of writing something awesome... that's got to take it's toll on your mind, surely?

Sorry, I walked off subject a little Grin

In my opinion Cell is the best book he has written in years!

Yes its a book of an age old "Everyone turns mad and eats everyone" generation but the original things that really stick out for me is how the "Crazies" Sleep, all grouped up, all connected somehow and transmitting. That gave me the chills when i read it!
Oh and I think the way in which everyone became infected was pretty good as well - it takes advantage of something we use everyday and turns it into something to be feared - brilliant.

Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 11 years ago
Personally, I can't wait for Doctor Sleep, the new novel he's working on as a sequel to The Shining (takes place nearly 40 years later)

And I'm still trying to get my hands on "Under the Dome," but $35 is too much for me, and even on the Kindle it's still $15.Angry
last edited by Dnavarre on 30-03-2010 00:48
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 11 years ago
Stephen King is the first author to realy grab me as a reader.
I never read fiction until my early thirties, hardly read at all actualy, and ceratinly never considered writing.
SK kind of motivated me in that regard.
Cell is a great book, but not his best by a long chalk. Dan brown was getting a lot of press at the time with his rocket paced thrillers and SK, I think, tried to compete.
Also it was his second book after completion of the Dark Tower series which I think left a little hole.
Fast pace is not his style and I agree with Vermithrax about the stand, Tommynockers, it etc.
Read Hearts in Atlantis...........
Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
Dnavarre
Oh, yeah, waiting for the Stand as well (movie comes on next week; I'm recording it. It's 6 hours long...)

He also has another Dark Tower book coming out, after Doctor Sleep. A few months back he took a poll of what book he should write first. DS got barely fifty more votes out of thousands.
Vermithrax
I loved the Dark Tower series; there's talk of a TV adaptation. *groan*
Vermithrax

Kerri-Emmitt
If were talking all time favorites then bazaarly I have to choose two... Rose Madder and Insomnia for my choices. They may seem a strange choice but they are by far the greatest constructed, imaginative, compelling stories to me.

Green Mile and the Dark Tower series being close contenders.

Also can I suggest a book for our next discussion - Hannibal Rising, Thomas Harris?!
Administrator

Vermithrax
Hmmm, not read thatone yet. I'll have to get it.

I'll say here though, that Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs were fabulous.

I hated the third novel though; to me,it felt that Hannibal read like a screenplay, whereas the first two were filled with sharp forensic detail and taut plotting.

It seems to be a common trap though, once a book is guaranteed the movie treatment; The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown suffered the same flaw. Detail is sacrificed for visual effect.

It might be me; I love detail in a story; try any of Jeffrey Deavers work; they are awesome.
Vermithrax

Rob Kosy
Deaver is most certainly the boy Vermithrax.
Have you read his two short story compilations? They're fantastic. Also the Blue Nowhere, its as good as any of the Lincoln Rhyme series.
As for SK, Kerri I've read all of SK's (except for the plant which I can't get hold of for love nor money) and Rose Madder and Insomnia are also two of my favourites. Both of them are related to the Dark Tower series (Insomnia heavily). Patrick from insomnia is actualy a pivotal character at the end of the final Dark Tower book.
Have you noticed that both books you mentioned have not been adapted for the screen?
Read Hannibal rising and Red Dragon and thoroughly enjoyed them both.
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 11 years ago
The Stand is my favorite book. I had a hard time getting into it but once I did I couldn't put it down.

I'm not a big fan of King. He's too wordy for my taste. I liked It (there's a reason to hate clowns, Kerri) and I liked Pet Cemetary. That's about it.
last edited by Don Roble on 25-04-2010 04:05
Dnavarre
Well, I might get the Stand soon.
Don Roble
If you do, get the longer version. Then set aside a long time to read it, a long time.
Vermithrax
Yeah, I agree with Don; the extra segments, concerning a certain character, really impact on the depth of the overall story; also one of my favorites.

You might also try Tommyknockers; that's quite creepy.
Vermithrax

Kerri-Emmitt
I walked through my local market today and picked up a copy of Stephen Kings, Four Past Midnight! Haven't read it before so even though its yellowed with age and smells faintly of tobacco smoke, I can't wait to start reading! (which I won't have time to do until the weekend but still...)

Has anyone read this one before? No spoilers though, please!
Administrator

Don Roble
It was the evil twin, Kerri.
Vermithrax
Yes, I've read it.

The one story, The Langoliers, was actualy made into a very bad TV script, and filmed. The novella is far better.

The other three are not too bad either.
Vermithrax

Rob Kosy
Secret Window, Secret Garden from that book was also made into a film starring Johnny Dep.

& I have to say, it was great & clung very, very close to King's story.

Its a tie for that and The Libraray Policeman for my favourite.

I mentioned this in a previous reply, but read Hearts in Atlantis. Its got everything, a series of four stories all interlinked.
I had a lump in my throat at the end, though I was too macho to cry (grrrrrrrr.....want some raw steak?)
Kerri-Emmitt
Rob! Lolz! Thanks, I have read Hearts in Atlantis and you are absolutely right, that's a very good one.

Oh and your Cats story lives on... I read it to a friend saturday night whilst away (at three in the morning, after a long bbq party... and yes lots of drink) and well you can probably put two and two together and picture that scene... if not, all I will say, too much laughter - whilst drinking, flooded nose! Not me! Her! but still... pure entertainment! Can't wait for more! Grin
Administrator

Rob Kosy
Wow, thanks very much, Kerri. I'm truly flattered.
I wrote parts of that with a beer next to me, so its quite fitting that someone should hear it under the same circumstance.

By the way, if you like King's short stories read "The Long Walk".
I first read it in a compilation (can't remember which one and it's in my Mam & Dad's loft). But its also available now in a single novel (though I do think that's a bit of a rip-off).
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.