Return of the Shoutbox

Last updated on 10 years ago
Routh
Routh Posted 10 years ago
As some of you have likely noticed, the shoutbox has been brought back by popular demand. On that note, I must mention a couple things.

I took the shoutbox away in the first place because of a drop of forum activity and shoutbox abuse. The forum activity was largely due to people carrying on questions and requests for help in the shoutbox. Let me be clear that these types of requests and discussions should alway be carried out in a forum where a logical discussion flow can be followed and there is no chance of admin missing something important.

As far as the abuse goes: I do not under any circumstances want to see the shoutbox used for 'please rate/read/comment on my poem/story/song/blog' posts. All admin are hereby requested to immediately delete any such posts from the shoutbox as they are spam-like. Posts such as these also take away from the professional nature of the site and give new users an impression that there is little or no activity on the site, which in turn creates low activity.

A shoutbox has a main and central purpose... idle banter about unimportant topics. It's a place to give a birthday or holiday wish, say hi, welcome new users. A shoutbox is for the type of conversation you would have with someone as you pass by them on the street. If the conversation gets to the stop and talk point, take it to the forum or the chatroom.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 10 years ago
I always liked the shoutbox & since my job dictates that I spend only bursts of time on the den I found it useful just to say hi.
I agree that it shouldn't be used as a plea for readings (and I never did) and, with a few exceptions, I found that the writers who did that tended not to read in return.
I would say that "abuse" was a little too strong a word for it though........
Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
ladylunaivy
ladylunaivy Posted 10 years ago
Ahh I like where the shout box is now, on the side there. Thanks for bringing it back! <(^^)v
)o( Most People want to be the sun that brightens your day, but I would rather be the moon that shines on you during your darkest hour. )o(
i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/Ladylunaivy/crow-sig-web.jpg
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 10 years ago
the original position. Except for it used to just hang down; no animation.
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 10 years ago
where is the archive?
a restless death awaits
Routh
The 'Shoutbox Archive' link is at the bottom of the shoutbox, it scrolls up with the messages so you have to wait a moment for it.
Chris Routh

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 10 years ago
what package did ya use?
a restless death awaits
Routh
I'll dig through the site's files, I added that mod a while ago and I can't remember the name for it.
Chris Routh

Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 10 years ago
Love the shoutbox lol, especially in my current condition. Glad to have it back Smile

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.