Ratings

Last updated on 11 years ago
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 11 years ago
I've looked through a lot of the writings, past and present, and notice an unfair problem.

If someone's grammar and spelling is correct, how can they be given less than a 100% rating for it? The other rating catagories are subjective but either the garmmar and spelling is correct or it isn't.

I can see giving a 90 or 95 for one error but not for perfect grammar and perfect spelling. I found myself doing because evryone else did and I'm sorry I did that.

I won't rate any longer because the rating is skewered by this. That's my opinion, at least.
last edited by Don Roble on 28-02-2010 01:01
KwajChristine
KwajChristine Posted 11 years ago
I agree. I was wondering about that myself.
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 11 years ago
There are many spelling and grammar mistakes. I think it focuses more on the grammar side of the rating. Grammar has many things to make mistakes in, and it can often lead to confusion in a story. You can rate the grammar on what, if any, mistakes there are if they confused you at all (for a good one, look at my short story "The Wonder Birth").
Don Roble
I was talking about perfect grammar and spelling. No one ever gets 100%. Good grammar is good grammar. You can rate lower if there is a mistake but how can you rate less than 100% if there isn't?

Grammar isn't what leads to confusion in a story. Confusion is caused by the flow of the story. Grammar is a technical point, not a creative one. Grammar isn't subjective.
last edited by Don Roble on 28-02-2010 01:02
KwajChristine
KwajChristine Posted 11 years ago
Well, looking back at things I've posted, I didn't realize how many mistakes I've made. But they're typos and shouldn't have such a potent impact on the rating of a story.
Routh
Routh Posted 11 years ago
The ratings were meant to be a well rounded scoring tool which included technical as well as creative aspect. We are trying to teach people to improve as writers, and we cannot do that if spelling and grammar are not a part of that. The section covers grammar as well, covering the need for authors to use new words, rather than falling back to the same familiars all the time.

Verifying spelling and grammar are important before submitting a work to an editor, or a teacher, or pretty much anywhere if you'd like to be taken seriously.

It is necessary for spelling and grammar to have an effect because you can't have a 90% on a story if it's filled with typos. This encourages the writer to clean the story up and resubmit it. In the next update of the site I have coded a 'rating reset' tool so that if key components like spelling, grammar or plot are given major revision the writer can clear the ratings from the writing when he updates it, allowing a fresh slate and a rating that reflects the writing in it's current edit.

Ratings are skewered by this component intentionally.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Don Roble
Yet, perfect grammar and spelling doesn't get 100%. How can that be?

I understand the purpose of grammar and spelling being rated. I don't understand how perfect grammar and spelling can be less than 100%.

No one has answered the question I actually asked.
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 11 years ago
Take your point entirely Don. I also think the spelling and grammar aspect is unfair.
I am not the best at either and, let's be honest, many errors will slip past us when engrossed in a story. It's only when a mistake actualy effects the flow that most of us notice.
I think you could only rate 100% for spelling and grammar if you are very, very good at it and spend a lot of time, first reading the story, then checking it for spelling.
Me I just want to read and, hopefuly, enjoy it.
Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
Routh
Routh Posted 11 years ago
OK on your point Don, I agree entirely. (Sorry I didn't include this in my last reply.) If spelling is 100% and grammar is good, then 100% should be awarded. Thats part of why it's on there, it makes it easier for people to read, especially if the reader does not speak English as a mother tongue. And in todays day and age spelling and grammar should be an easy mark. Also, this site is first and foremost, a learning tool. An author cannot learn to be publish-worthy if this basic aspect of writing is not a component.

I am beginning to understand that the rating system is too complex for a user who just wants to read a writing and move on, so I may evolve the current rating system into a 'review' system and introduce a simplistic 5 star rating system for generic readers.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Don Roble
That would work. Believe me, grammar and spelling errors will be pointed out.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.