Fantasy Authors?

Last updated on 9 years ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 14 years ago
Well, I've gone and done it. I've read everything new that my favorite authors have out. So, I'm in search of some new authors. If you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to read them. Of course, I've read Tolkien's stuff, but here are the ones I normally read:

Douglas Adams
Robert Asprin
Kristen Britain
Terry Brooks
David E. Coe (Lon Tobyn Chronicles)
Sara Douglass (Wayfarer redemption stuff)
Raymond Feist
Robert Jordan
Elizabeth Kerner (although I think she might have a new one on the way)
Mercedes Lackey (Some of her stuff)
L.E. Modesitt
Terry Pratchett
R.A. Salvatore (Some of his stuff)
Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series)

I tried some of C.S. Friedman's stuff, but really didn't like him. So, how about it? Any others that you'd suggest?
Matt Coiner
Administrator and general goober

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Si-Shen
Si-Shen Posted 14 years ago
If you like Salvatore, try Tracy Hickman and Margerat Wies. They do alot in Dragonlance but also have several series that are unrelated to DL.

Id suggest either starting with the Chronicles (dragonlance trillogy), The Death Gate series, or Soverieign Strone Trilogy. All good books by them. They both have novels out on their own as well.
Only in the tales of men, does the hunter catch the wolf.
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 14 years ago
I'll have to check 'em out. I've just picked up Wizard's Rule by Terry Goodkind. This is the first of his books I've read. It seems to be pretty good.
Matt Coiner

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Sariel
Sariel Posted 13 years ago
I highly recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I would be hard pressed to say who of the two is the better author, as they both have the ability to weave these amazing and intricate tales that grab you by the eyeballs and drag you willingly into their imaginations.

Both write in a more complicated style that your average fantasy author, and rather than focussing on a few main characters, both series have a whole cast of characters that are richy developed, and increadibly in-depth. The worlds the series are set in aee richly detailed, and the stories themselves are phenominal. And rarely, if ever, predictable.

Seriously, if you are a fantasy fan, both of these series are a must read.
~Matt!
"Life is funny. You start out with limitless potential, but time is constantly shaving away the possibilities. Every choice you make is the choice not to do a thousand other things."
Routh
Routh Posted 13 years ago
If any of you have not read his books, I highly suggest Christopher Paolini's series about dragon riders. The first two books are titled 'Eragon' and 'Eldest' - and he has a third book in the works. Fox is making a movie, which I intend to see, however I am already disappointed by their lack of sticking with the books, for example: A giant orc like race called urgals are being portrayed as a tribe of rebel humans in the film... *shakes a fist at Fox* - way to ruin a good story.

But as always the literary form works magic, and I seriously think this trilogy of books he is writing is as epic as Lord of The Rings... and to think he wrote the first at 17 and the second at 19. An inspiration to amateur writers everywhere!
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Sariel
Sariel Posted 13 years ago

Routh wrote:
If any of you have not read his books, I highly suggest Christopher Paolini's series about dragon riders. The first two books are titled 'Eragon' and 'Eldest' - and he has a third book in the works. Fox is making a movie, which I intend to see, however I am already disappointed by their lack of sticking with the books, for example: A giant orc like race called urgals are being portrayed as a tribe of rebel humans in the film... *shakes a fist at Fox* - way to ruin a good story.

I agree.. I was quite impressed with Eragon. Have not read Elder yet, having problems finding it in the book store. Awesome reading, especially considering the fact that he wrote the first book when he was like 17
~Matt!
"Life is funny. You start out with limitless potential, but time is constantly shaving away the possibilities. Every choice you make is the choice not to do a thousand other things."
last edited by Sariel on 08-07-2006 04:57
Dnavarre
Dnavarre Posted 12 years ago
If you like the Inheritance trilogy (eragon, Eldest, 3rd one) then go read my story Entai's Journey and rate it (i think Routh read part of chapter 1) but my friends say its awesome (and a few that aren't my friends/enemies)
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Bambi
Bambi Posted 12 years ago
I was a bit of a fantasy fan in my younger years Philip Pullman is an author that I highly recommend. He has a trilogy that I believe is being made into a movie. The first novel is Northern Lights, followed by The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. His writing was interesting because he kind of stretched the idea of fantasy and translated it into a modern setting - almost futuristic.
Otherwise I recommend David Eddings Belgariad Series, or Katherine Kerr.
My mind is unravelling like an angry kitten attacking a tapestry
Bambi
Bambi Posted 12 years ago
Actually, on a side note, has anyone read anything by Raymond E Feist? I'm thinking about starting one of his trilogys but not sure whether it is worth it? Any opinions?
My mind is unravelling like an angry kitten attacking a tapestry
RiddlesinMercuri
RiddlesinMercuri Posted 12 years ago

Beau_Bambi wrote:
I was a bit of a fantasy fan in my younger years Philip Pullman is an author that I highly recommend. He has a trilogy that I believe is being made into a movie. The first novel is Northern Lights, followed by The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. His writing was interesting because he kind of stretched the idea of fantasy and translated it into a modern setting - almost futuristic.
Otherwise I recommend David Eddings Belgariad Series, or Katherine Kerr.

Well dang, Someone beat me to bringing up Pullman. Yes, Golden compass is being made into a movie, it comes out December 7th. I just read the His dark materials trilogy and it is still fantastic.
"What kind of idiot knowingly dates a girl named Knives?"
-Ramona V. Flowers, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
sage_sorceress
sage_sorceress Posted 12 years ago
TERRY GOODKIND! TERRY GOODKIND! TERRY GOODKIND! TERRY GOODKIND! and Elizabeth Haydon....and George R.R. Martin.
A Journey begins with a single step. A song with a single note. A novel with a single word and love with a single feeling.
laney
laney Posted 12 years ago

Beau_Bambi wrote:
Actually, on a side note, has anyone read anything by Raymond E Feist? I'm thinking about starting one of his trilogys but not sure whether it is worth it? Any opinions?

I've read his series starting with Magician: Apprentice and it's quite good.

As for my own favorites however, I'd definitely recommend Terry Goodkind (although the first few books of his Sword of Truth series are better than the rest), and George RR Martin.
Dnavarre
isnt Apprentice about a kid that doesnt know how to use magic but everyone else can?
Courage is the cruelest friend you can have. It'll get you to the doorstep of your desire, then abandon you. The rest is all you.
Dnavarre
Ted Dekker does everything...I think, I know he managed to fuse fantasy and armageddon. He's gotten Westerns and mystery together...a lot of stuff.
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 12 years ago
I've just started reading Ted Dekker. One of the women in my church gave me "Blink" and "Thr3e." I really enjoyed Blink and I'm working on Thr3e now.
Matt Coiner

Dnavarre
Three minutes to solve the riddle and confess your sin.
I can't remember what Blink was about.
howle
howle Posted 11 years ago
Hi, Howle here, feel free to take a look at my novel. I've gotten good reviews from alot of people about this one.
Dance with wolves.
abigailchilds
abigailchilds Posted 11 years ago
Have you tried the Aborsen series? I can't remember the author but the first book is Sabriel- I think its for young adult but it's still really good.
Abigail Childs
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 10 years ago
I can recommend Raymond Feist, he's an awesome writer. I also see you mentioned Tad Williams. have you tried his Otherland series?
This is perhaps the best techo fantasy ever
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
SolidusII
SolidusII Posted 10 years ago
abigailchilds said:

"Have you tried the Aborsen series? I can't remember the author but the first book is Sabriel- I think its for young adult but it's still really good."

Garth Nix
'Expect the unexpected, unless your not expecting it.'
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.