Commenting

Last updated on 11 years ago
Don Roble
Don Roble Posted 11 years ago
Am I alone in finding it difficult to comment on a subject or type of writing I'm not a fan of? I try to be as active as I can but some types of writing and some subjects don't grab my attention and I don't feel right commenting. I'm afraid I might be unfair to an author simply because i don't like the type or subject of the writing.
Routh
Routh Posted 11 years ago
The long and short is always: Stick to what you know, for the most part. If you can give a comment do so, but useless comments are exactly that. This is why it's important for The Den to cultivate a diverse group of writers and critics who enjoy various styles.

On this note at the same time, one lined comments often provide nothing more but short term encouragement. A well constructed comment should contain as much critique as praise. I feel many people have moved away from helping and more towards 'quick replying' a simple comment without really taking a moment to give an opinion to your fellow writers.

No one should be offended or nervous about giving or receiving critique, and those that can't take a little, need to learn to. That is if they truly hope to improve.

So to that end, stick to what you like so that you are providing meaningful and helpful comments, rather than short one liners.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
last edited by Routh on 07-01-2010 16:26
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 11 years ago
that is true..,.i still haven't learnt how to say 'that was horrible' formaly. on those notes, i leave a dry, often hollow comments, which does not seem fair.
a restless death awaits
kt6550
kt6550 Posted 11 years ago
If the story is not to my taste, I generally find something mechanical to comment on, like grammar, spelling, or punctuation. That is useful to the writer.

It is a tough task, really, to comment on something that, no matter how well written, does not appeal to you.
Rob Kosy
Rob Kosy Posted 11 years ago
Hey guys, anyone think its a little ironic that we're typing discussions about meaningful and constructive comments into a box labelled "Quick Reply"?
Sometimes I find it tough to comment also and am guilty (if that's the right word) of the "encouraging one liner".
However, I am encouraged simply by the fact that someone has taken the time to read and rate my work (no matter how clipped the comment might be).
I wish I could comment on spelling and grammar, but for me to do that it would have to be pretty abysmal.

Never sharpen fish in the presence of doves........
JonPWills
JonPWills Posted 11 years ago
I must agree. I do not like overly dreary stories and as such I do not feel like commenting on them.

I also do not like stories that are told from a villians perspective, espcially not stories that involve murder without the criminal being put to justice....

Oh yes, and I am quite a sap.

So unfortunately this makes me really biased in the kinds of stories I can make comments on.
Writing is like grooming hair. The longer the writing the more work it takes, but it's loving work.
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 11 years ago
Unfortunately, with me, it's poetry.

I find it very, very difficult to write an opinion on a piece that, more often than not, I'm unsure that I've taken the meaning of correctly.

Also, anything of a political nature, as I am just not a political animal, and am frequently confused by the various machinations of both my own and other governments.

Apart from those subjects, I'm pretty easy about what I read. Smile
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
Pritrostell
Pritrostell Posted 11 years ago
Agreed. Commenting is tough. But, seeing as everyone has different tastes it's always going to vary.

I do my best to comment and even fix/show the writer what needs to be fixed.

If something is odd or incorrect that i'm unsure of i'll make a note of it as well saying that "to me, this would be better..... blah blah blah".

I read everything i can, and comment on everything i read... I just don't rate everything i read. I feel it unfair to rate something like music (song lyrics) since i am unable to fully grasp the feeling in a song.

anyways i'm ranting here and my friend wants his comp back, hope to be back soon Smile

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
juve7
juve7 Posted 11 years ago
Poetry for me is very difficult. It's not that I don't enjoy it. I love poetry but I don't feel good commenting on or criticizing it because I know nothing about it and I'm abysmal at poetry. It's like me going up to michelangelo and dissing David because I know nothing about art. It just makes me feel bad.
savage_cushions
savage_cushions Posted 11 years ago
Yes, this is extremely hard, I'm afraid I have been guilty of avoiding subjects that are not to my taste. The value of encouragement should not be underestimated though.
And yes.... I admit it, I dont like 'modern' poetry...or modern art...or modern music...or
Savage Cushions

"If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink"
Pritrostell
Ok, due to the little mini-flood of poems on the main page I bring you this question.

How do you rate Imagery for a poem?

To me, when reading a poem I look for emotion, rhythm & rhyme, patterns (A A B B, A B B A, Etc) and spelling & Grammar.

I find it hard in many poems to find an image, especially ones about love or pain. Maybe my mind just isn't broad enough to hold the brainpower needed to decifer such things Pfft

And the hard one for me is songs - just can't rate a song without hearing it, too hard for me.

I grab the freshly washed grizzly skin, which still holds the warmth of it's previous owner despite it's chilly bath in the nearby river...
Routh
Routh Posted 11 years ago
Imagery can also mean feelings or concepts being spawned by your imagination. Poetry is often more feeling than picture, and therefore you rate the imagery based on the authors capability to stir emotion with their words.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Pritrostell
yea, i discovered this whilst reading the abundance of poems today and went back to re-rate a couple of them.

Most of them for the better Smile

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.