A Few Changes

Last updated on 11 years ago
Routh
Routh Posted 11 years ago
Well, Christmas is over for another year and I had some time to mull around and make some site changes and improvements over it.

One such change most will have noticed is the absence of the Shoutbox. I'm sure this may have surprised some users. I did this for a couple reasons:

1. More spam than good. The shoutbox was a concept brought to the internet with the intention of being similar giving a 'shout out' to other members. The idea was to be able to say 'hi' or 'welcome back' to a user without starting a forum or sending a private message. What ended up happening is a large amount of users using it to ask for comments on their writings. This type of posting should be limited to requests in the forums. To be blunt, most users who have stayed the longest around The Den know that if you rate and comment, people will return the favor. The people who beg for comments but never participate are often lost in the flow of the writings, and eventually in time.

2. Conversations are good, but only if you can follow them. Thats why we have discussion forums. Posts stay in a chronological order and are easy for people just jumping in to follow, therefore allowing them to add to the conversation. Looking for something more personal than a forum? I've added an instant messenger for 1 on 1 talking, and brought back the chatrooms for group chatting.

3. It took up space that could be used for useful info.

That being said, onto another big change area: Profiles. I've removed some unneeded profile areas such as the 'Profile Text' field and put in more useful ones like 'Biography' and 'Forum posts'. I've also moved your writings up the profile, and added a 'profile visitors' tracker. These changes were fairly quick to orchestrate as the mods were downloaded from the PHP-Fusion community and only minor modifications were needed to make them work for us.

More to come in the new year.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Vermithrax
Vermithrax Posted 11 years ago
Thanks Routh; nice that you're thinking of us all, as usual.
Vermithrax

Don't try To Fix Me; I'm Not Broken.
Please Do Not Cling To Me; I Swear I Can't Fix You.
blue_veined_hatred
blue_veined_hatred Posted 11 years ago
the profile tracker thing is awesome. i know you are only one man, but how about a hit counter on writings?
and thank you for your care
a restless death awaits
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.