Read silently or aloud?

Last updated on 8 years ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 11 years ago
I was watching this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rngge5HVdf...re=related

I am curious. In your opinion was poetry meant to be read silently or aloud? Kevin Max is a singer and poet who has, on several albums, included a poem that he reads. I've always found them interesting and he has a good sense of the rhythm of a poem, although here he need to put down the coffee cup.

Many of us have poetry here in the board. How do you want us to read it? Most times, I read it silently. How did you write it? To be read aloud or read silently? Why?
Matt Coiner
Administrator and general goober

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
last edited by Mythbhavd on 27-04-2008 04:07
flickeringfairy
flickeringfairy Posted 8 years ago
For me personally, it would be a recording of the author reading the poem aloud. That would be ideal. I think reading it in your head is the best bet until you get the feel of the poem.

In general, and historically speaking, I think poetry was meant to be read aloud.
Kerri-Emmitt
Kerri-Emmitt Posted 8 years ago
I agree; poems tend to be written with much more emotion - emotion that follows no narrative, but is the writer... Because of this, I believe it needs to be read aloud, or as fairy pointed out, read by the writer. This way you can hear the emotion which fuels such a poem; be it anger, love, jealousy, possession, it all should be heard, not just read.

I read all of the poems on the Den and elsewhere aloud. That way it connects with me in the way in which the writer intended.
Administrator

I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!
Malicepoint
Malicepoint Posted 8 years ago
I guess I'm the lone wolf( Lol, get it?) in saying that I like to first skim the poem to find the meter if there is one and then find where the words best flow. Thats how I can be straight with people about there poems if it doesn't flow well or not.
Whatever happens now shall affect the future in odd ways.
tjwell01
tjwell01 Posted 8 years ago
Poetry becomes a different animal when read aloud. It takes shape and new meaning before your eyes. SAY IT!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.