Poets Give Advice

Last updated on 14 years ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 15 years ago
I've noticed that quite a few of you love to post poetry here. I've posted one or two, but poetry is defnitely not my strong suit. So, poets, what books and poets would you recommend for the aspiring poet to check out in order to become a better writer?
Matt Coiner
Administrator and general goober

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Marie A
Marie A Posted 14 years ago

Mythbhavd wrote:
I've noticed that quite a few of you love to post poetry here. I've posted one or two, but poetry is defnitely not my strong suit. So, poets, what books and poets would you recommend for the aspiring poet to check out in order to become a better writer?

I always say start with the classics. When you know all the rules you can bend them without looking silly.

I, personally favor EE Cummings, William De vault, Anne Sexton, TS Elliot, DH Lawrence, Kahil Gibran, and Pushkin.
There is nothing new except what has been forgotten.
Marie Antoinette
last edited by Marie A on 07-07-2006 05:17
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 14 years ago
They're all good poets. I'd also include Maya Angelou and Louis L'amour (although most don't realize that he wrote a book of poetry.)

In your post, you say that when you know the rules, you can bend them without looking silly. What do you consider the rules of poetry? Yours tends to be edgy and push the envelope, so where do you choose to depart from the norm?
Matt Coiner
Administrator and general goober

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.