Does your relationship with your work change?

Last updated on 3 months ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 5 months ago
I was watching a video by Adam Savage and a viewer asked if he had a favorite creation or if they were like his children and each special in its own way. If you're a creator (whether it's writing, sculpting, painting, etc.), you've been asked this question. In his discussion of that, he makes the statement (when discussing a sculpture he made in the 90s), that the piece has changed over the years, not because he has changed it, but because his relationship with it has changed. He says that you have an experience with that thing just after you've finished it, then after you've utilized it, and then later on (with the idea of visiting it later) and that your relationship with that thing can actually change.

Do you find that true of your work? How about your work you've submitted here? If you do, how do you see that change taking place?

For reference, he discusses this from 8:20-9:30 in his video:
Matt Coiner
Administrator, husband, dad, avid reader, sometimes writer

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
last edited by Mythbhavd on 02-03-2021 06:20
3 posts
Routh
Routh Posted 4 months ago
I've been meaning to come back to this post for a month, but I keep realizing I won't have time to really respond.

Finally taking that time this morning. Smile

Yes. Absolutely. The nature of my relationship not only changes with my work over time, but I find that depending on the thing we're referencing it can evolve in very very different ways.

As a first example; when I look at the cherry wood clock I made for my dad in High School, that has aged beautifully. When I look at that now it's not only very different from the piece of wood I originally cut, routed, sanded; it has far more character and I feel a greater connection to it. It's darkened with age, it's gotten a nick here or there from a move. It represents something I put heart into.

As a second example; my writing on The Den. While some of it I can still look at with pride, I find that much of it is harder for me to connect to and relate to as I age. Maybe it's wisdom, maybe it's cynicism... but the glass through which I look at the world has changed and thus I often struggle to put myself back in those same shoes. This seems to be unique to my own work, as I can still do this with someone else's work. It feels more like I don't want to reconnect with that version of myself.

For a final example; The Den itself. The site has evolved over time and become something very different from that first website I made way back in 1997, and the community too has grown and changed. In some respects I feel guilt for not getting version 5 done sooner, as life continually keeps my progress on it slow. In others I'm proud that this community has not become what so many communities from the early days of the web have; ad filled, unfeeling, engagement crazed money machines. The weight and cost of keeping this site going grows with each passing decade, but it's still a priority for me. I look forward to what comes from the release of v5, which looks to be on track to land by the 25th anniversary of the site next year.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
kt6550
kt6550 Posted 3 months ago
Sometimes, yes. I look at some of the writings I wrote when I was in my 50's, (I am 68 now,) and think, "Did I write that junk?" Guess I did.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion:Routh, Mythbhavd, kt6550