Ratings... stay or go?

Last updated on 2 years ago
Routh
Routh Posted 2 years ago
I'm looking at my list of things to develop for v5 and I am wondering if ratings are worth it? I was planning on revamping them, but it seems like it might be wasted effort. Most aren't using the ratings at all these days..
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Routh
Routh Posted 2 years ago
Maybe I should just replace them with a star based rating system like we originally had. When people were more vested in the site the ratings were more meaningful...
Chris Routh

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
last edited by Routh on 02-03-2020 19:56
Routh
Routh Posted 2 years ago
I've decided to go with a 10 star rating system rather than deprecating the ratings completely for a few reasons:

1. The original 5 star rating system became useless, quickly. When people rate in a 5 star system they pick 3 or 4, and on rare occasion 5. The end result is every writing eventually averaged out to 4 stars. If every writing is 4 stars there's effectively no difference between a rating system and "Likes" on social networks.

2. Without any ratings, the older writings that are truly great fall into obscurity and disappear. The ratings help people find writings that are good.

3. A 10 star rating system provides enough range for people to provide feedback and is simple for them to understand.

4. The new UI I'm building v5 with already supports the component Smile
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 2 years ago
I accidentally deleted both copies of Don's response, which was that they should go altogether. I've spoken with a few members and I think the consensus is that they should go. I'll come up with another way for older writings to be highlighted.
Chris Routh

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Content Admin