V5 Alpha Status and Feedback Thread

Last updated on 3 months ago
Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
This thread will serve as a discussion thread for the V5 alpha as it is developed. This main post will track progress on features and users can place feedback on the layout, features and bugs they find here.

Information

URL: https://v5.staging.amateurwriting.net/

Issue Tracker: https://gitlab.routh.io/theden/helpde.../boards/44

Completed Features
- Importing of comments, writings, members, shouts, discussions
- Generation of activity items for major events
- User login/logout
- Member profiles are mostly done, with their details, activity and writings
- Writing views are mostly done. Without the ratings of course which require me to create that subsystem and import data.
- Commenting is feature complete.
- Activity feed is at version 1, will likely change, but I need input on it. I need to make user spam collapse like the current site as one needed change.
- User dashboard is a skeleton for now.
- Shoutbox dialogs are completed and shoutbox posting and editing is complete. Delete dialog needs confirmation step.
- Forums, editing discussions and new forum posts
- Writing editor and management screens
- Delete confimation dialogs
- GDPR cookie notice
- AUP and Privacy policies
- About page
- User settings changes

Pending Features
- User following
- Private messaging
- Personalized activity screens on the user dash (which is dependant on user following)
- Karma system
- Admin site skeleton for required items.
- Initial theme choices
- Favourites

Features to be Deprecated
- Ratings
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
last edited by Routh on 30-07-2020 03:50
kt6550
kt6550 Posted 1 year ago
So far, so good. Able to read, search, and comment.

Any timeline as to when we will be able to test posting and deleting writings?

Bob
Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
@kt6550
Hoping to get some time this weekend, but work just took my Sunday (need to work a full day now.) So hopefully I can get something done on Saturday.
Chris Routh

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Functionality aside @kt6550
what did you think of some of the changes to the look and feel, for example the floating action button in the bottom right, and the shoutbox being moved there. The new customisable headers for writings/profiles.. The cleaner wider look of the writings?
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Got delayed on the forms this weekend as I needed to work on performance. It was taking over an hour to get the legacy data imported from v3 on a rebuild of the app, got it down to 10 minutes. Trying to improve it a bit further.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Performance updates are completed. I will be addressing the writings form next.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
New writing submission form is completed for it's first round ( will be updating it again after I implement the books feature )
Chris Routh

kt6550
kt6550 Posted 1 year ago
So far, I really like what you have done, Chris. The site is easy to navigate, and the display of the writings is very eye-easy.

Today, (2/18) however, I could not get comments to post. I was commenting on your poetry. Or, at least I think they did not post. I will check back again tomorrow.
Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Hmm @kt6550
- try a CTRL+f5 to force the client to update. You shouldn't need this in the future but it may be needed now.

In the future, I just added an update service that will automatically download the newest client and then give you a notification that there is a newer version, and tell you to reload the page. So CTRL+F5 should no longer be necessary.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Also there was a bug with the client the last time you tested where session expiration was not picked up by the client properly, and so you may not be logged in.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Writings submission and editing are ready to begin testing, and deleting writings works too. I need to revise the interface a bit for it.. also missing the pagebreak button, however you should be able to play around with how it works in it's current form.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
The discussion forums have been developed and are currently being deployed to staging. It will take a few hours for staging to rebuild. This is a large chunk of work checked off.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
Staging rebuild is completed. You will not see the discussion forums until the client updates in your browser.

Load the page in your browser and wait 30 seconds to 1 minute. A notification should appear that says "updated client available, please reload page" - at which point you just need to close and reopen the tab or press F5. This will load the updated client.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
New update pushed to staging. Buttons for editing and deleting a writing/discussion have been moved to the header. Session auto-recovery is now working so when your login expires you will be presented with the option to log back in without losing work.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 1 year ago
New Update pushed to staging. You can now edit your profile and settings. Some tweaks are needed for this.

Action buttons for writings, profiles and discussions have been moved to the header.
Chris Routh

Routh
Routh Posted 10 months ago
New update pushed to staging to fix posting access for normal users.
Chris Routh

MissDartit
MissDartit Posted 9 months ago
First of all, loving the mobile-friendly version. Not sure when it happened but the stupid thing seemed to be glued to my hand way too much these days :D

I have not been able to reproduce any bugs yet, but I did try to change the background picture on my profile. Did not work :P. However, this may not be operational yet.

You said you wanted screenshots of errors/bugs etc, where do you want me to send them? As I can't attach them to my comments here.
"Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear." - Edgar Allan Poe
Routh
Routh Posted 9 months ago
Background uploading should be working Sad I tested it on Firefox. If you look at my profile you'll see it's been done. I'll need to know platform/browser please. Versions as well.

v3 is old and decrepit and not really a great place for tracking issues, however the Routh.IO Gitlab where I develop the site has a great tracking system that allows drag and drop attachments.

You should be able to see this, but you'll need to signup/login to create an issue. You should be able to login with Google/Github/Gitlab or create an account from scratch

https://gitlab.routh.io/theden/helpde.../boards/44
Chris Routh

last edited by Routh on 30-07-2020 03:50
MissDartit
MissDartit Posted 9 months ago
Excellent, I have created an issue on it on the Routh.IO Gitlab. TheEtherChannel is me.

Haven't found much else.

Also, I have a suggestion, I have seen this on other writing groups and you may have thought of it. But When reviewing they give you the possibility to comment directly on to the story. So you pick paragraph(s) and comment on that specific one. That way we can help with pointing out a specific paragraph that perhaps don't make sense, or contradict something from earlier in the story and so forth. To make things a little easier for both the reader and the writer.

Also for the login details, I noticed it is case sensitive. Not sure if that is intended? Also would be nice with a message box saying username or password is wrong. Took me a second to see the red box telling me that there is no active account associated with missdartit and realising it should be MissDartit :P ( I blame the wine :P )
"Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear." - Edgar Allan Poe
Routh
Routh Posted 8 months ago
Hmm, the login should not be case-sensitive, I'll create an issue for that.

Your suggestion is good, and I am thinking about this, however it won't be for v5 1.0.0. That is difficult to code and will be something I look at doing after I replace this version.

The first release of v5 will be simply recreating what we have here, with improvments for speed and mobile usability, ratings removed, and karma system implemented.
Chris Routh

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Content Admin