L. E. Modesitt Jr. "Once a Poet..."

Last updated on 1 month ago
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 1 month ago
https://www.torforgeblog.com/2020/09/...m-shadows/

Last year, in the Tor/Forge Blog, L. E. Modesitt Jr. discussed poetry. In particular, he discusses the use of poetry in sf/f stories as well as the linkage of music and poetry in low-tech cultures, but he also talks briefly about the move away from the traditional place of meter and rhyme in poetry in western culture.

Take the time and read the article. I'm curious to read what you think!
Matt Coiner
Administrator, husband, dad, avid reader, sometimes writer

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
Routh
Routh Posted 1 month ago
First thing that caught my eye is that they used the same creative commons photo we do (our header). :)

There are a couple of interesting things discussed in this article. The drift between music and poetry has me mostly listening to instrumental music or EDM these days, or classic songs written before this divide grew wide enough to break the symbiotic link between the two.

I also find that more traditional poetry and song being kept alive in fiction is very interesting. It definitely adds depth to the world if these details are added and done well and consistently, such that continuity is maintained.
Chris Routh
Founder of The Den of Amateur Writing

"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments." - Riker, Star Trek The Next Generation
Mythbhavd
Mythbhavd Posted 1 month ago
Many of his works, both in Sci-fi and in fantasy, include elements of poetry and music. In later years, he married an opera singer and actually wrote a series around a character who is much like his wife. The series, The Sorceress Soprano, tracks a woman who is from earth who ends up on another world in which music plays a major role. He takes a unique approach to both sci-fi and fantasy in which he works in elements of poetry and song, economics and ecology, and political struggles that all have an impact on his characters.

Overall, though, I agreed with his look at poetry. There has been a large move away from meter and rhyme and into more of a free form prose type of poetry. Prose is great, but it seems like people want to make prose fit other forms of poetry and, unless done very well, it takes away from the artistry. And, I have to ask, "what are we losing?"
Matt Coiner
Administrator, husband, dad, avid reader, sometimes writer

"The secret to writing is to write the first draft from your heart and the second from your head." - William Forrester in Finding Forrester
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.